Sunday, April 15, 2012

I will not root for a root canal again!


I will not root for a root canal again!

Every time I heard someone tell me that they had visited a dentist I would look at them pityingly and say with curiosity “Really? How many teeth did he remove? As if people go to the dentist only to have their teeth removed! And then that day, horrors of horrors, it was my turn to be in the dentist’s chair, lying dazed in a half reclined position, with apprehension in my eyes, my mouth wide opened, heart beating fast and hands clenched with readiness to either pray to God and beg him for one more chance or maybe all ready to punch the “Dentist God” hovering over my face. I felt that if I was able to swipe once at him just once, of course out of defense, and cry out in triumph” An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth!! As quoted in the Bible, Old testament-Genesis!

It all began one innocent evening when I felt that as Shakespeare’s Hamlet would say,” Something is rotten in the state of Denmark!” Only this time, it was not Denmark….! So having reluctantly trudged to the Dentist , there was I all cringing & helpless against the onslaught of a man who was determined to make me his next victim! And there was he digging in my mouth, certainly with more enthusiasm and energy than the municipality road diggers and using a hose with chilled water with such awesome pressure that would give a complex to the corporation water supply department!

And then the instruments! Oh God the instruments! I shuddered and looked away when I saw them all conveniently arranged and displayed on my stomach like pastries and puffs in a bakery, with different bits and bytes – pun intended- to cut and grind and whittle and chip and slice and drill, drill, drill! The doctor should have been a driller working on an oil rig! I am sure he would have got the best driller award! With a stoicism that Brutus of Julius Caesar would have been proud of, I tried not to grimace or show any emotion that would convey that I was not exactly enjoying it! In fact, I even saved a knife or a chisel – I think it was a sword or a teeth cutter—God Knows!- from falling down from the stomach pedestal it had been placed on and with the greatest stupidity held it out as if encouraging him to keep cutting up my teeth! After all just before he began the project break teeth, I had, with pompous bravado very proudly and nonchalantly proclaimed:” Oh I have a high tolerance of pain. Don’t worry! Carry on Doctor!! Guess I dint want him to like Hamlet say,”Frailty thy name is woman!

This is an excerpt from a speech I gave at Infosys for a humorous speech competition, which I won:)

13 comments:

  1. Excellent ,

    I really appreciate the way you develop the imagery through the use of perfect words ..

    No wonder the speech was winning entry ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Santosh:) Every time I get a script it's a matter of trying to know what I could do with it. I see colors, imagery. It has to have a smell. It's like falling in love. You can't give a reason why. Paul Newman
      Try it! it is very satisfying.

      Delete
  2. Haha...nice one Rama ma'am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot for visiting my blog and commenting! Who is this?

      Delete
  3. haha Good one mam, congratulations ! curious to read the whole speech... the speech is so expressive, anybody who reads it would think he's in front of a dentist!

    Regards,
    Jagjot

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mixing for Similes, metaphor, mapping of Speech is excellent.

    Prasanna Borse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks prasanna! Looks like you are getting into the groove too! loved your speech at the area level speech competition. "Chlorine filled eyes"! So evocative:) Congratulations on getting first runners up! All the best for the division level! Hope you remember to put all your imagery and metaphors, well expressed and evocative.

      Delete
  5. It appears you were on moon expedition travelling through curators having tough time without excavators. wow what an imagary!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot:) Have you had a root canal? If so, You will know why I described it as I did!

      Delete
  6. VERY GOOD!SO WELL SCRIPTED, DESERVES A SCREENPLAY!!
    VINAY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Vinay! Thanks for your interesting comment:)

      Delete
  7. Heard you speak this in one of your speeches...Just terrific..loved it..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ankit! Heard you are doing great in the speech arena!! Congrats and I would just love to hear you, prepared and extempore:)

      Delete