Monday, August 27, 2012

Morning Glory


As I ventured to the wood, 
As I ventured to the wood,
I stopped to draw on dewy air; let
Droplets shimmer in my hair, that
Rested on my tranquil head


Birds twittering excitedly announcing the arrival of dawn, clouds glittering with renewed light, the sun's orbs luminescent and blinding, yet riveting  & inviting everyone's attention by its unbelievable golden yellow, orange glow, hanging low upon the mountain tops looking like one could reach out and catch it and yet unreachable...The leaves on the trees glistening with crystal colored dew drops, the flowers honeyed, budding & blossoming, soft & velvety to the touch and the colors of such vibrancy that no painters palette can ever find a matching shade. The cool breeze wafting across, softly caressing one's face with a lovely freshness, the landscape looking like it has just been washed squeaky clean and the trees looking down proudly with glistening leaves with the circle of mountains in the background, lofty, magnificent, glorious & ethereal.


These are the unforgettable images I see when I am out on my morning walk/climb of Durga Tekdi (Durga Hills) at 6:00 in the morning. My friend Kunda & I climb up this hill, which is two kms away from my house. It is steep in parts and the climb up & down takes us one hour. We soak in the sunshine, sit on the parapets and stare at the mist slowly climbing up the mountains, our feet hanging down in nothingness, we stare into the sun’s face, directly & challengingly till tears blind us, and we get totally lost in the beauty of nature. We pant up steep slopes, run down as if reluctantly down slopes (we have no choice), walk barefoot on the cool green grass & sometimes plop down on rocks to catch our breath. We greet regulars, smile at joggers, grin at monkeys and frown at a few dogs. Sometimes we walk in silence, lost in our thoughts, sometimes we do a catharsis or just giggle our way up & down. On wintry days, we bundle ourselves up in warm clothes and finally get our chance to don our monkey caps and on rainy days we just walk in the rain and I let the rain fall down on me.

My friend Kunda
It is unbelievable to imagine an oasis like this, on top of a mountain in the middle of the city. But yes, such an utopia does exist and I am fortunate enough to be able to walk amidst this haven. The pics I have posted will give you a very small glimpse of this beautiful heaven on earth- Durga Tekdi!

5 comments:

  1. I liked reading your description of Durga-Tekdi! You described it most exquisitely and with a lot of imagery..I could almost picture myself sitting on the parapet and looking across to the sunrise thro the mountains, and maybe look to it with encircled fingers so that I can feel that I have held the sun, albeit at a distance!

    I especially liked the "flowery" language you used to describe nature!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot Nikhil for your lovely comments rather appreciate comment:) you should come down here some day and I shall show you what I wrote about and you shall also know that" truth is beauty and beauty is truth" I loved your imagery of sun encircled between fingers. I did it once a long time back in the good old days, I would love to do it again with renewed interest:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow. I am also not very far from this Place. It gives me encouragement to come down at least once in a while. Sometimes we need just that inspiration to appreciate something which is close by. Your writing and pictures created that inspiration in me. Excellent blog. Hope to meet you sometime before the year end at Durga Tekdi :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow. I am also not very far from this Place. It gives me encouragement to come down at least once in a while. Sometimes we need just that inspiration to appreciate something which is close by. Your writing and pictures created that inspiration in me. Excellent blog. Hope to meet you sometime before the year end at Durga Tekdi :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Ganesh
      Thanks for visiting my blog! Sorry for late reply:) Durga Tekdi is worth visiting even if once in a while! Hope to see you some day, but how will I know you:)

      Delete